MARY UTHOFF MEMORIAL WALKWAY
The Princeton Public Arts Commission, in a collaborative effort with North Central Illinois Artworks (NCIA), created a public art installation on South Main Street in Princeton. Mary Uthoff (1886-1974) was a long-time Bureau County educator and served as Superintendent of Bureau County Schools from 1924-1936.
Ottawa artist Susan Burton was commissioned to create original mosaic-covered furniture for the walkway. Jyl Morse, owner of Hoffman’s Patterns of the Past, donated china to be used in the mosaic process. Colored shade sails act as a virtual rooftop and provide an inviting aesthetic. The project was supported with $10,000 in tourism dollars with the remainder of the $20,000 raised by the community and grant funding. The Princeton team of commissioners was very excited to bring public art to Main Street!
Continued financial support is greatly appreciated!